Total Pageviews

Sunday 28 August 2011

Love's inside

Arman was lying on the bed. Tossing his bolsters. Sleep was wandering nearby but was hesitant to be his guest tonight as well. Suddenly he noticed an image comming out of the mirror. 'Arman you awake??' questioned the image. Arman was too shocked and frightened to answer. 'Don't worry Arman its me. Your conscience.' 'Conscience??!! W..ww.. what consc...!!!' Arman was too frightened to speak. 'I live inside you. I'm the one whom you're afraid to listen!!' Inside me?? He startered calculating 365 bones, a heart, 2 lungs, some litres of blood, veins and some other things. Where this bloddy thing lives, Arman thought.
'Inside me?? Huh cmon stop kidding. You are as big as me.' Arman brushed him off. 'I don't need space to live Arman. I'm a part of you. It's just you don't know I exist' The image answered smiling pleasently. His smile gave him some confidence. He spoke, 'So why are you here?' Questioned Arman. 'I'm here to help you. you need me. Don't you?' Image countered him. 'After 29 years you think I need you. Huh, let me tell you I don't need you. Don't piss me off and let me sleep.' The sleepless nights of so many months have made him bitter mouthed and frustrated.
'Really? Ok I'll leave but just tell me why haven't you sleept for past so many months??' Image questioned him. Arman was stunned. How did he know that. He thought. But was too stubborn to surrender. 'It seems your eyes have been replaced by buttons. Look at this room, this bed, the comforts. How could anyone in this world can be sleepless here!!' While answering he waved his hand dramatically to show him the room but was an attempt to hide the dark circles beneath the eyes. 'Indeed this room is full of wordly comforts.' Image looked around smiling sarcastically. Took a deep breath and added, 'What about you, your inside, your heart.'
The question felt like dagger slitting across his throat. Words were hard to find. But, he was a fighter. The criss cross lines on his palm had always set him for a fight. He has always been an opponent; to his destiny, life, friendship and everything he loved. Just to hold them for a while. To love them, to enjoy them. For the world outside he was ferociouos fighter and a winner. But in the ring of life all he had was a knock out punch. A fight was eminent today as well. 'Stop it I say. Pleaseeee. I beg you. Go away.' Arman's voice was rising and trembling at the same time. 'Look at yourself. Is this what you wanted from life, Arman?? Today you have pocket full of money, all worldly comforts. But even your dog likes Ramu kaka more than you. I really pity you.' Image's eyes boring inside his.
'It's me who's toiling for everyone. Day and night. 24x7. DO YOU GET IT. 24x7. LIKE A DOG' Arman shouted at the top of his voice. 'But my dog, whom i'm feeding on bloddy pedigree every 6 hours loves my cook!!' Arman lowered his voice trying to cool himself. The image was smiling and looking at him pathetically. Arman stole a glance at him and went on, 'It's nothing's new for me you know. Today my dog is loving Ramu kaka may be tomorrow he'll run away from me. Just like Neha, isn't it?'
He didn't wanted those words to slip. He has held those lines inside him for months. But as soon as it did he felt a big weight moving away. Arman turned his back, wiping a tear dwelling at the corner of his eye. 'What happened?? You crying Complan boy!! I don't believe it' Image mockingly asked. 'Don't you dare call me that again. I'll rip you apart. Do you get that. No one calls me that!' Arman was trembling with anger. 'Ok, comp... oh ok ok I won't sugarcube.' Image again smiled and said. 'Have you met Neha before coming here?' Arman asked with a sorry look in his eyes. 'No, I don't need to meet her anywhere else. She's inside you.' No not again. Stop this living-inside-you-thing. First this clone of mine and now Neha. I wonder who else are residing inside. I'm a human or a bloody guest house. 'Huh stop fooling me. She's gone, forever.' The word forever made him realise what he's lost.
'She loves you Arman. She wants to come back. She was...' Image was telling him when Arman cut him short, 'No one knows her better than me. I insulted her, she won't come back.' 'It wasn't you Arman. It was your ego, your greed for money that made you loose her.' There was persuation in image's voice. 'I'm a part of you. And I know you better even than you.' 'She has a huge ego.' Arman wanted to accept what image was saying but a part of him was telling him otherwise. 'But far lesser than you.' Image snapped back and continued, 'Just a sorry, some phone calls, bundles of roses and cartons of chocolates and she'll be back with you.' Arman's eyed him questioningly. He wanted to do the same for months but stopped himslef, always.
'This won't work.' Arman said decieving the defiant look in image's eyes. 'You're a bull. Ready to fight always but stubborn as well. You want to do this but your ego stops you. When will you listen to me.' Image pleaded. 'Just give it a chance. Atleast once.' 'Are you sure, it will work??' Arman smiled and his fingers itching to punch some numbers on his mobile. 'Why not ass, ahhh sorry. She loves you.' Image said, pumped with joy.
'Ok, let me see.' Arman took out his mobile and punched some numbers. 'Hello!' Arman was trembling. 'Yeah hello.' Replied Neha. Her sweet, child like voice was enough for him to go weak on his knees. He felt short of words. 'Ahhh.. ummm can i speak to Rohit.' The image was furious. Cursing him for being such a coward. Arman was going to dissconnect but the voice on the other side froze him. 'No Rohit's isn't here. But if you want to speak to me you can Arman.' Arman was shell shocked. He didn't realise that after such long time she'll recognise his voice. He broke down. The tear gates opened today. 'Come back. I love you.' Were the only words he could speak. A long pause over the phone. Arman was tensed. But the image was looking at him with a calm look on his face. As if telling him, don't let her go this time.
'Neha are you there. Look i'm sorry for everything. Please come outside.' Arman's voice was choking over the phone. 'Outside?? What do you mean outside.' Neha asked confused. 'My conscience told me you live inside me.' Arman replied like a 5 year old forgetting what he was saying. 'Arman are you drunk. What are you talking.' Neha questioned. Suddenly Arman realised his mistake. 'Uhhh nothing. I love you Neha.' He said sheepishly and smiled at the image which started to fade away. 'I love you too my sugar cube, my complan boy.' Neha cried while replying. The tears flowing on both sides were working as a solvent for washing away the ego. Arman looked at the image, smiling and fading somewhere inside him.

26 comments:

Niharika said...

Sorry but m speechleSs , not because its differnt story or a different feeling but the way u have presented it is *remarkable n commendable*

Amal said...

Thanx Niharika. Didn't expected it would shape up so well.

Sagar said...

Very well written bro. Just too too gud. Awesome. A long way 2 go!!

Amal said...

Thanx Sagar!!

Devashree said...

just one word- "awesome", n by d way i hav a copywrite on "sugarcube", so next tym care to take my permission.
but it was really just too good. m simply out of words to praise.

Amal said...

Hehehe. Thanx for the comment. But let me tell u the word was used for 'Arman' by 'Neha', not for me ;)

Amal said...

Sry Gunjan I deleted ur comment by mistake.

Divya said...

Hey Amal, really awesome post. U've really evolved as a writer. Love ur post.

Amal said...

Hey divya. Nice to see in here. Ur just being a good friend by calling me a writer. It's a very big thing. Still I have to go a long long way. But thanx for ur support.

neha said...

Sir, really liked the story.. looking forward to read more like this stuff. :)

Amal said...

Thanx Neha. U'll surely get more of it. Just keep visiting. Hope i'll stand upto ur expectation.

aditi said...

damn nice....too good amal ji

Amal said...

Thanx Aditi. But what's with this Amal 'ji'. I'm not that elder than you :)

aditi said...

oh...in dat case may i ask ur age???

Amal said...

@ Aditi- Whatever your age is just add 4 or may be 5 years to it. And that doesn't makes me a 'ji' thing. Plz only Amal will suffice. :)

aditi said...

haan haan........i will........

नस-वस said...

i'm speechless. awesome. what a way to portray such a feeling. you did it my complan boy, you sugar cub! keep writing...who is chetan bhagat. u r better. best wishes buddy.

Amal said...

@ Nas was- Nikhil bhai thank u so much. Kuch zyada ha tarif kar di tumne to.

Anupma said...

loved ur story... short crisp even though explained the exact situation which is i guess common with everyone.. keep up the good work :)

Amal said...

Thanx Anupma. Just keep visiting!!

Jyoti said...

It connects well wid youth... I almost started feeling lyk I'm Neha:) Welldone champ...

Amal said...

Thanx Jyoti. Glad you liked it.

shivangi said...

amal u have written it so well. i m human not a bloody guest house my favourite lines..improving day by day

wow sugarcube.

Amal said...

Thanx Shivangi!! Thoda jaldi padh leti to aur achcha lagta.
Keep visiting....

aditi said...

wrote a new post..... :)

Amal said...

@Aditi- So finally adopted my technique for advertising your blog ;)